11.04.2007

Forwards or Backwards


It sucks that kids don't grasp the concept of the fall time change. I can remember back to a time when I was young and would try to motivate myself into using this extra hour in a constructive manner. Since I was already accustomed use to getting up at the time that is now an hour earlier, I could go and work out, make some progress in the backlog of books that I have, or finish that silly essay that I intended to publish on Monday. What usually happened would be me laying in bed, thinking about how cold the nights had gotten and convincing myself that sleep was the best thing for my body. In college it was common practice to persuade the bar to stay open for another hour.
On this cold morning, I knew that sleep would be the best thing and I had no illusions of addressing the other deficiencies in my life. However, the little one had a different idea and I spent my extra hour grocery shopping before the chickens could even lay their first eggs.
I hope that you were able to use this hour more wisely. There is still a hope that I can make up for this hour with an earlier bed time and a little more sleep. Next year I'll think about working out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I never understood why almost all states use daylight savings time. It's a really weird concept, poor William....
Here is what the Wiki says (see below. I enjoy the point that it benefits retailers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Daylight saving time is the convention of advancing clocks so that afternoons have more daylight and mornings have less. Typically clocks are adjusted forward one hour near the start of spring and are adjusted backward in autumn. Modern DST was first proposed in 1907 by William Willett. Despite controversy, many countries have used it since then; details vary by location and change occasionally.

Adding daylight to afternoons generally benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours,[1] but it can cause problems for farmers and others whose hours depend on the sun.[2] Extra afternoon daylight appears to cut traffic fatalities;[3] its effect on health and crime is less clear. An early goal was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting, formerly a primary use of electricity;[4] nowadays, though, DST sometimes increases overall electricity costs and peak demand.[5]

DST's clock shifts complicate timekeeping and can disrupt meetings, travel, billing, recordkeeping, medical devices, and heavy equipment;[6] they also serve as twice-yearly fire safety reminders.[7] Many computer-based systems can adjust their clocks automatically, but this can be limited and error-prone, particularly when DST rules change.[8]