1.31.2008

January Thought Nuggets

The finger is better, so I’ll attempt to catch up with a mind cleansing edition of random nuggets.

  • When I heard about the passing of Gordon Hinckley, head of the Church of Latter Day Saints, I was stuck with a pang of nostalgia. I remembered back to days when I was little and wished there were Latter Day Saints in my neighborhood that I could join. The appeal of this religious group wasn’t grounded in their approach to eternal life (for me and all my ancestors), instead their marketing campaign spoke to me about a better way of life. Initially, I would receive this colorful stamps in the mail (these were actually junk mail, but I always felt entitled to something since I got the mail) that I could use in my various childhood games of Army General or smaller version of Mr. Wizard. Then while watching TV, I saw what it meant to be a Latter Day Saint—Ice Cream and smiles. I always remember the commercials with old people and young people laughing and smiling, often eating an ice cream cone while playing outside with their dog. This commercial spoke to the areas of my life that defined my pursuits of happiness, so I wanted to join this magical organization. As I grew older, I learned that this imagery was just a façade and ice cream was a gateway drug into a life of Mormonism. So my search for happiness shifted to more obtainable pursuits. Not because I’m not opposed to Mormons, just “isms”.

  • All this talk about last weeks Fed Rate cut and whether or not there is a need to stimulate the economy got me thinking--Can you over stimulate the economy? What does an over stimulated economy look like? I would love to see an economic condition that mimics the hyperactive ramblings of Katlin from SNL. Shouldn’t we strive for this level of energy and enthusiasm on Wall Street? As an ancillary benefit, we would get to see a conversation between Katlin and Jim Cramer from Mad Money discussing the Financial Service Sector and the impact that the Euro is having in the Asian markets.



  • I’m willing to take a shift on Brittany suicide watch. This saga can’t end and I’m willing to do my part to make sure no premature harm abridges this story. The nation needs its resident crazy celeb to give Meredith Vera something to contribute on the Today Show. Who needs writers when there is an unscripted mental health outbreaks on CNN? Brittany, Dr. Phil is lacing your dogs’ clothes with a mind altering drug. It’s a trap. If something were to happen to Brittany, I think one of the Olsen Twins moves to the top of the list of Craziest Celeb.

  • Please, someone make me the winner of a trip for 4 to Bora Bora? Honestly, what’s better than taking 12 steps from your bed and being immerged in crystal clear water? A forecast of falling ice is not appealing.



  • As an act of mercy, all banana flavored candy needs to be removed from the general candy population. Nothing squash to the spirit of a sugar dependent cube dweller, then walking up to a reliable candy dish on a co-workers desk, only to find the bottom filled with only Banana Laffy Taffy. I’ve had it. Sell the banana stuff in specialty shops and AARP magazines, catering to people with diminished taste buds. VIVA la FLAVOR!!!
    • No comments: