1.17.2008

Stand and Introduce Yourself.

Hi, I’m Mark and I’m an addict.

Addict might be to strong a word, since the need for a compulsion that leads to withdrawals hasn't presented itself, but there is definitely a compelling desire that consumes my thoughts. I would classify myself as a book enthusiast if I didn’t buy two books this afternoon and still have to stop at the library on the way home from work to get a book I had on reserve. Does this make me an addict? I enjoy reading books, talking about books, reading about people talking about new books, the thrill of walking into a book store and seeing the new releases, and the ecstasy when walking into a library with the knowing I can take anyone home that I wish. I could spend hours getting lost in the stacks of paper and stitched binding, looking at new subjects or new authors located in isles. I love the way a new hardback’s spine cracks when I open the cover, the way a new paper back smells as I flip the pages, the level of anticipation that builds on page one, and the despair of parting as I finish the last page. I think the act of smelling books entitles me for some sort of aid.

This could be classified as some developmental delay. My backlog of purchased books is hovering close to 20, but I can’t stop the search for the next good read. Inevitably, something sparks my interest and I’m off to investigate. Just like a shinning object and a kid with short attention span (another condition that I'm afflicted with). Those 20 books will most likely keep me busy until mid summer; yet, I will not be able to rest until I spend the $50 in Barnes and Noble gift cards.

I need help!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am a book-a-holic! This website has saved my budget:

www.paperbackswap.com.

I've been using it for about six months now and have never had a problem.

Anonymous said...

seriously? I smell the books too. Going to the bookstore for me is a high...I have stacks upon stacks to read that haven't even been opened yet.

You are in good company my friend.

Anonymous said...

It's good to know I'm not alone in my book/bookstore obsession! I'm not so much a reader, as I am a book collector. I have about 30 in my 'to be read' pile, but I can't spare the time to read because I need to get more. We need to start a support group and have sponsors we can call to stop us from buying more books until we've read all the ones we have in waiting.