2.10.2008

4 Things I Don’t Understand


1. Do I have a magic refrigerator? I bought a 12 pack of Miller Lite months ago. By my estimation, I’ve finished this 12 pack at least twice. How can you drink a beer twice you ask? This is tough to do if you don’t posses a magic refrigerator like me. I’ve consumed or given the final Miller Lite away at least 3 times over the last two weeks, but I opened the door this evening to retrieve my trusty tub of humus, and sitting next to grapes was another Miller Lite. This feature wasn’t listed on the manufacture’s specs when we purchased the unit, or I would have been sure to buy the model that made Newcastle.

2. Why were Fergie and Carrie Underwood wearing a ring on the Grammy Awards that looked as if they won the Superbowl? Does Eli have some explaining to do?

3. Are the Grammy’s or Strip Clubs a better representative of popular music? I consider myself in plugged into today’s new music. I know the saga of Amy Whinehouse and all nominees for song and album of the year. This confidence was challenged when I found myself at a clear shoe fashion show a few weeks ago and had no idea what half the songs played during the exhibition. I was there with a youngster who was able to fill in the gaps of our game “Who the hell is this”. (The other indicator that I was the old guy in the club was my degree of fascination with the sound system and light show than the girls on stage). But as I sit and watch the Grammy’s, I know these bands. I know these songs. I would feel better about my pop culture IQ if I didn’t remember that the Grammy’s gave the best hard rock album to Jethro Tull instead of Metallica. Strip Clubs or Grammy’s—what’s the barometer.

4. What is it about John Lennon’s voice that can lower my blood pressure by 50 points?

No comments: