12.16.2007

Snowed In

Ok, we were not technically snowed in, but with no place to go, why mess up the illusion? Since our kids have some farmer gene inside them that requires them to get up well before sunrise, the day started early and most activities were completed by 11 am. With a large crock of chili simmering on the counter top and the hopes of a mid-day nap, I became the Asshole of the subdivision. I take full responsibility for breaking the seal on this laid back Saturday by breaking two of the winter etiquette laws for winter-- I let the boy play in the snow and I shoveled my driveway.

I will blame it on the boy, but I really wanted to get outside and see the snow for myself. Shoveling was a good grown-up justification for being outside in 4 layers of clothes, but there is a practical side to clearing a driveway before it gets too overloaded. As I was clearing the driveway, I could imagine the conversations taking place in the surrounding houses. “Daddy, that boys allowed to play, why can’t I go outside?” “Dear, get your lazy ass off the couch and go shovel our drive way”. I take full responsibility for screwing up their mornings and breaking the Saturday seal.

No comments: